Find the insurance plan that’s right for you.
November 15 marked the start of the enrollment season for the 2015 Health Insurance Marketplace, which was established by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Sorting through the rules can be daunting, and you must enroll in a plan by December 15 to receive medical coverage for the full year. To help you through the process, here’s some basic information about the Marketplace.
Who Should Enroll?
Under the ACA, everyone must have some kind of health insurance, with some exceptions. The types of accepted coverage incude:
- Employer-provided plans
- An individual health plan purchased either inside or outside of the Marketplace
- A government health plan:
People who do not qualify for an exemption and are not insured pay a penalty. In 2015, this penalty increased to the higher of two calculation methods: either 2 percent of net income or $325 per adult and $162.50 per child, to a family limit of $975.
What Are the Plans?
Insurance companies offer five levels of plans: bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and catastrophic. The plans offered and their costs vary from state to state. In Monroe County, Florida, more than 20 different plans were listed during a recent check of the HealthCare.gov website.
Some factors to consider when choosing a plan include:
- How much can you afford to pay every month?
- Do you prefer a plan with a high deductible?
- Do you anticipate regular doctor visits throughout the year or have frequent prescription refills?
- Does your doctor participate in the plan?
- You can enroll in the Marketplace until February 15, 2015, but your coverage won’t start until March.
- Certain life events, such as getting married or having a baby, allow you to enroll in a Marketplace plan at any time, within 60 days of the event.
- Tax credits to help pay for the plan are available, depending on your income.
At Lower Keys Medical Center, we want to help you get the coverage that’s right for you. We’re one of the local facilities that can help guide you through the process. Contact one of our Certified Application Counselors at 305-294-5531, extension 3254.