You can get your arthritis under control with these tips and tricks.
Are your joints starting to ache? Do you feel stiff and sore as soon as you wake up in the morning? You may be experiencing the first signs of arthritis. It doesn't have to be all downhill from here! You can successfully manage your symptoms and preserve the health of your joints with these tips.
- Start and end your day with stretching. Your joints will ache the most after spending hours immobile while you sleep. Minimize this pain by performing gentle stretches before you get in bed for the night, and again upon waking to get you ready for the day.
- Stay active. Even when you aren't sleeping, immobility can lead to discomfort. If you've been sitting still for a while, get up, walk around, and move your joints. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adopting a fitness routine that is specifically designed for arthritis patients.
- Listen to your body. While it's good to stay active, too many repetitive motions can lead to further damages of the joints. Don't push yourself. Rest your body when it needs it.
- Stop smoking. Need another reason to quit? According to the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Foundation, the toxins in your cigarettes can accelerate the progress of your arthritis.
- Find pain relief that works for you. There will be days when your pain gets the best of you, and you need to have a plan. Try OTC pain medications first, but if the pain persists, talk with your doctor about prescription solutions.
At Lower Keys Medical Center, we can help you get your arthritis under control. Arthritis care may include education about at-home remedies, medications, physical therapy, or surgery. Call us at 292-DOCS to receive a physician referral.